Dwarf Edition: 10e Monk

• DM

Discussion topic for upcoming monk rules

• PC

Bust out the Remo Williams/Destroyer books for some Sinanju inspiration for the new monk!

Many sun rotations ago, Dwarf, I thought put some ideas to paper around this concept. Hard to say if that even exists anymore.

• DM

Wokr in progress, here is a basic table… I’ll be posting content for hte abilities as I work up verbiage.

Anyone is free to post ideas.

Level Base Attack Bonus Fort Save Ref Save Will Save Special Abilities
    1 +0 +2 +2 +2 Ki Sense I, Bonus Feat
    2 +1 +3 +3 +3 Mastery of Body I
    3 +2 +3 +3 +3 Ki Sense II
    4 +3 +4 +4 +4 Mastery of Body II, Bonus Feat
    5 +3 +4 +4 +4 Ki Sense III
    6 +4 +5 +5 +5 Mastery of Body III
    7 +5 +5 +5 +5 Ki Sense IV, Bonus Feat
    8 +6 +6 +6 +6 Mastery of Body IV
    9 +6 +6 +6 +6 Ki Sense V
    10 +7 +7 +7 +7 Mastery of Body V, Bonus Feat
    11 +8 +7 +7 +7 Ki Sense VI
    12 +9 +8 +8 +8 Mastery of Body VI
    13 +9 +8 +8 +8 Ki Sense VII, Bonus Feat
    14 +10 +9 +9 +9 Mastery of Body VII
    15 +11 +9 +9 +9 Ki Sense VIII
    16 +12 +10 +10 +10 Mastery of Body VIII
    17 +12 +10 +10 +10 Ki Sense IX, Bonus Feat
    18 +13 +11 +11 +11 Mastery of Body IX
    19 +14 +11 +11 +11 Ki Sense X
    20 +15 +12 +12 +12 Mastery of Body X, Bonus Feat
    21 +15 +12 +12 +12 Ki Sense XI
    22 +16 +13 +13 +13 Mastery of Body XI
    23 +17 +13 +13 +13 Ki Sense XII, Bonus Feat
    24 +18 +14 +14 +14 Mastery of Body XII
    25 +18 +14 +14 +14 Ki Sense XIII
    26 +19 +15 +15 +15 Mastery of Body XIII, Bonus Feat
    27 +20 +15 +15 +15 Ki Sense XIV
    28 +21 +16 +16 +16 Mastery of Body XIV
    29 +21 +16 +16 +16 Ki Sense XV, Bonus Feat
    30 +22 +17 +17 +17 Mastery of Body XV

• @daermadm If I remember correctly, we were thinking that “Ki Sense” would be the evasive aspect of the Monk’s capabilities? What are we thinking “Mastery of Body” would accomplish?

• DM

@Immeral said in Dwarf Edition: 10e Monk:

@daermadm If I remember correctly, we were thinking that “Ki Sense” would be the evasive aspect of the Monk’s capabilities?

one of the topics discussed was that the Ki sense would be things that let the monk not get hit.

Think about all the various Chinese martial arts movies and shows where the monk simply leans sideways or flicks a pea exactly right, etc.

So some of the potential abilities would be things that increase AC.
    Some would be things that increase miss chance.
    Some would be some other thing that I am sure @halfgiant knows that I don’t in the the rules.

with a chart to level 30, and needing 15 abilities. some would certainly be just taking one a second time for an improved bonus and such.

• DM

What are we thinking “Mastery of Body” would accomplish?

Mastery of body means using your ki to affect your body. Stoneskin, damage reduction, spell resistance, hit points, constitution, etc.

• DM

Now some of you are also asking, what is Ki?

Well in the Manaverse I looked at what we did with the 10 thief and turned it around a bit.

Instead of simply having no magic, the Monk can actually see and feel it in a sense.

Think about the Transference of V`Ral story where Sorvani goes out into the wilderness and blinds himself with a super charged detect magic. And then he began to suck in mana until he created an empty bubble and then saw the first wisp of mana seep back into the prime material plane in that empty space.

The monks Ki sense is basically the reading of the flow of the mana around them. By the way I think for any other verse, this could easily be tweaked to life energy or astral or any such “everywhere around” thing.

One idea that really caught my fancy was once strong enough (ie high enough level to have the right class abilities) the 10e monk would be able to actually “spot” a 10e thief fairly easily unless the thief was being extra careful (beyond normal). Because the thief would be a black hole moving through the mana.

• DM

@daermadm said in Dwarf Edition: 10e Monk:

What are we thinking “Mastery of Body” would accomplish?

Mastery of body means using your ki to affect your body. Stoneskin, damage reduction, spell resistance, hit points, constitution, etc.

That said, I basically think there should be two different sets of abilities, both with options. Similar to how fighters have combat abilities and energy spirits.